Thank you for your interest in Markets for Makers Virtual Markets!
We’ve had several successful virtual markets now after years of booming live pop-ups. We made this page to provide makers with information on how to get into and then succeed in our virtual markets. We’ve compiled data based on makers we’ve seen succeed, so you can follow their route to success!
TOP POINTS TO ELEVATE YOUR BRAND
We’ve compiled the most important plus points of brands that we love, so you can focus on improving your brand’s product, photo, web, and social media and increase your sales!
1. Product Quality
- Handmade or expertly designed.
- Large inventory. Few products will usually create fewer sales.
- Wide variety of goods within their own category/niche.
- Affordable (most of our customers purchase items between $10-$50).
2. Social Media
- Quality product photography.
- Hundreds of posts.
- Great following.
- Engagement with your audience.
- Shoppable IG posts, IG checkout.
- Mobile optimized e-commerce website. NOT an Etsy (Etsy is not the best e-commerce tool as you cannot retarget potential customers with advertising, a crucial part of making sales online).
- User-friendly, clean and aesthetic design.
- Smooth checkout process with few clicks required to purchase.
- Email subscription including shipping/discount incentive.
- Retargeting advertisements! This is an absolutely crucial part of getting sales online. If you’re not familiar with this, you can take these great, short, FREE courses from Shopify on how to utilize retargeted advertising, and make sales! Facebook Ads for Beginners, and Advanced Facebook Ads.
These are all points to strive for. While some goals are long-term endeavors, others such as your product photography, web design, and engaging with your followers are easy “DIY” upgrades to any brand that will help your business in markets and in general!
Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions! We have some great resources on starting, growing, and improving your brand on our Makers Community! Members get free applications (we refund you the $10 application fee) to our Virtual Markets, and a wealth of information for your business.
SMALL BUSINESSES WE SUGGEST REVIEWING
We’ve put together some of our favorite small businesses so you can compare your brand and see what areas of your online presence could use improvement to increase your sales and brand growth!
What is the objective of Markets for Makers?
To find premier spaces and transform them into a market experience. Our markets are carefully curated with Makers who create items you can’t easily find in stores. It’s about the discovery of one-of-a-kind or small batch items you never thought to look for. These Makers specialize in home decor, fashion, art, design, food and more. We aim to forge the relationship between independent artists and their future loyal customers.
What qualifies as a Maker?
Makers are artists, writers, photographers, collectors and designers, they are the creators and dreamers that are driven to create the next great brands of the future.
We accept applications from makers with:
Vintage or antique collectables
High quality craft and handmade items
Up-cycled or restored salvage
Food trucks and tented food vendors
We do not accept makers with:
Direct sales & multi level marketing (Mary Kay, LulaRoe, It Works, LipSense, Scentsy, etc).
Wholesale distributors (This is in contrast to a boutique)
We are a family friendly event and also do not accept makers with:
Products with hateful messages
Drug paraphernalia/products and messaging that promote drugs
Curative products like CBD oils or pain relievers.
How are Makers evaluated and selected?
Our aim is to select Makers we feel have the most potential for brand growth and wish to get exposure at our markets to get to the next level.
Makers are judged on the following criteria:
- Product quality
- Unique products
- Booth display photos
- Online presence in the following categories:
- e-Commerce presence in either an online store, Etsy or promotional website
- Facebook following, growth and activity
- Instagram following, growth and activity
During the market our team is looking for the following qualities in Makers to be invited back:
- General good vibes and attitude
- Engagement and attentiveness with shoppers
- Promotional efforts online
- Booth display
- Adherence to schedules (payment, load-in, load-out)
- Good communication
- Maker’s understanding and compliance of our policies (leaving booth space clean, etc.)
Please note: We have a capped amount of Makers per category to ensure the market maintains a standard of high-quality and variety. Participation in a past markets does not guarantee a spot for future markets as we do rotate vendors. A well made, creative and clean display, a good high quality presence on social media, positive attitude and high quality products are all things we look for when we select makers.
Why do Makers choose your markets?
Makers have chosen our markets as their favorite markets to attend for many reasons.
- We have a selective jury process and limit the amount of Makers in certain categories. This is to create a diverse collection of Makers.
- Makers who primarily sell online enjoy our markets because they are able to get instantaneous feedback from customers as well as showcase their entire line of products.
- Store buyers are commonly seen attending our markets, thus attendance generates exposure for product lines.
- We give companies a venue where they can invite and connect with influencers in person and create lasting relationships.
- Our markets have been known to be the spark that gets Makers to the next level.
- New Makers enjoy launching their companies at our markets so they are able to get a taste test or test run of their product lines which allows them to see what products create the most buzz. Many Makers attribute the development of their product lines from learning what their customers were most interest in at our markets.
What qualities will increase my success in virtual markets?
- Quality products.
- A mobile-optimized, professional e-commerce website.
- Great product photography.
- Active, engaged social media accounts.
- Retargeting ads to bring potential customers back to your shop.
While Markets for Makers can drive tens of thousands of customers to the market web page, maker shops, and social media, it’s up to your brand applying the above points to ensure you make lots of sales!